We’re ready for you. What are you ready for?
The Center for Workforce Development has a literacy department! We offer flexible programming to meet a variety of needs. Programs are FREE for those 21 and older (excluding integrated job-training programs). Students are assessed in reading, math, and speaking skills and advised into the most appropriate program option to ensure success. Instruction is individualized to meet your needs.
- Under 21? If you live in one of our participating school districts, you may still be eligible for free HSE programming. Call us today to learn more: 585-349-9100
These are some program options to help you reach your goals, including earning your high school equivalency (HSE) diploma, taking the TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion), or improving your English language skills.
High School Equivalency Programs
- Classroom Instruction includes daytime, afternoon and evening sessions, Monday through Thursday.
- Alternate Pathways are designed for those unable to attend regular classroom sessions. These programs are recommended only for those students who can commit to at least 6 hours of work per week to dedicated at home study.
TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Completion)
- New York’s high school equivalency exam is called the TASC (formerly the GED). It consists of 5 parts – Math, Reading, Writing, Social Studies, and Science.
- CWD can prepare you to take the TASC and be your scheduled test center.
English Language Learning
- English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) – We offer FREE programs designed for individuals who were born outside of the United States who need instruction in the English language. Daytime and evening classroom instruction is offered. There are also distance learning options for those who qualify and cannot attend class.
- Citizenship – We offer FREE citizenship classes to qualifying individuals with a green card. These classes will cover U.S. history and government and will prepare students who are interested in taking the naturalization test to become a U.S. citizen.
- Integrated Job Training – We offer job training classes with support for English language learners for students who are interested in programs such as Nursing Assistant, CDL/Bus Driver, Culinary Arts, and Building Maintenance. Tuition assistance available for qualified individuals.